• Solo • [Havardr] Oh brother...

2nd of Ymiden 718

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Emerit
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisher(wo)man
Renown: 10
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Havardr] Oh brother...

2nd Ymiden, 718th Arc

The sloop glided smoothly over the waves as it reached the shore of Havardr. The familiar sight of simple boats bobbing up and down on the ocean swells as well as the yurts dotting the coast brought a strange sensation of nostalgia with it. Home. It looked small and even slightly dull from the distance compared to the life she now lead, compared to the adventures of her childhood. Even after the arcs she’s been gone, after the horrors of the past, Havardr seemed untouched by it all and that added to the uneventful air around it. But maybe, the blanket of stillness and timelessness protected her family much like it seemed to protect itself..

Emerit moored the sloop, stared at with curiosity by the few citizens she vaguely recognized.

“Ay! It’s Em!” One of the villagers exclaimed, pointing at the red-haired Biqaj.

“Aye, Ade! It’s me!” Emerit shouted back, smacking her chest twice before throwing her arms wide open with a heartfelt laugh. “You as old as I remember you matey.” The woman jumped off the boat and with energetic strides went to embrace the older man. A few of her vertebrates cracked in the bear hug when she got lifted off her feet. He was old alright, but still a mountain of Biqaj, one of their best whalers. She was a dwarf next to him but always gave him a handful of trouble.

“And you’s as feather soft as I remember.” Ade jested back, holding Emerit in place to behold the woman she's become. “Somebody, go and get Tunga, for sakes!” He then looked around at the other people slowly gathering, some with awe in their eyes, others with warmth in their smiles. A few looked at her with a somber expression that brought Cylus cold with it. Like a crack of a whip, a few kids ejected from the crowd and dashed towards the yurts.

“I’m sure you’re eager to meet your nephews. Aye?” Ade slapped her shoulder like an equal, which was more than a normal woman would withstand, but then Emerit was not your usual lass. She did bend in the hips slightly but was far from faceplanting the ground. And hell yes, she was! Emerit left when the little sprouts were still in their mother’s belly seven arcs ago. Plenty a time for them to have grown up a little.
word count: 409
Emerit
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Havardr] Oh brother...

Those who knew her came to greet Emerit. Some came with eagerness wanting to hear the news from the world. Others were a bit more reserved as if something was not quite right but they did not want to say or they did not feel it their place to do so. That piqued her interest. In fact, this was a whole new experience for her. Finally she was the one who ventured out into the world to experience ways of living sometimes so different to those in Havardr. And much like her ancestors she returned to share it all with her people. She was cherished like a miracle whilst at the same time seen as selfish by others. Being on the receiving end of that spectrum of emotions was...odd and constantly swirling at the back of her mind. She kept her smile, however, and her jovial nature otherwise the illusion would break.

“...then the sea settled. And I could see there, in a distance, a boat with a single man on it much like me. And I knew who it was.” Her eyes brushed across the gathered crowd as she told her story of meeting U’frek and how he saved her from Chrien's wrath. The story seemed to have convinced some in its truth whilst others looked at her with doubt. Those did not matter to Emerit for if she were to maintain the lie, she had to sway those who already believed it. At the end of the day, it was easier to sway non-Biqaj citizens who were perhaps oblivious to the race’s indulgence in grand stories that they did not even consider Emerit to be lying about meeting an Immortal.

“He saved me from the sudden storm and Chrien's senseless anger as she tried to drown me.” The Biqaj woman finished adding the relieved and grateful smile of a survivor, completing the image of genuineness. Ohs and ahs filled the air for a moment to punctuate the tale, before the magic of it was broken.

“And then you dragged yo arse back home, aye?” A voice carried over the heads of the beholders, booming with a hint of annoyance.

Emerit turned to see the source of it but even before her eyes landed on the man, she knew it in her bones who’s spoken. Her brother was looking right back at her with a frown. Somehow, he looked larger than she remembered. Paler than what seemed natural. The crowd parted and some decided to leave as if a storm was about to break out. Strange...

“Tunga!” Emerit called out, trying to stay cheerful although uncertainty started to creep underneath her skin. Her brother took heavy steps towards her, measuring her up and down as if he was appraising a kill. It made her uncomfortable and wary. She did not quite understand what has happened to her brother that he was not rushing to greet her. Somehow, she still hoped this to be a joke, a senseless prank to catch her off guard at the end of which he'd envelop her in his big arms, taking her into the safe harbour of his embrace...welcoming her home.

“You look healthy.” He observed as he stopped before her.

“Aye! Ate in all the best place in Idalos.” Emerit said proudly. Who needed to know what dodgy taverns served. The meat that even she did not dare to question the origin of.

"But you, matey,” She then said, balling up her fingers and hitting Tunga in the shoulder. He winced in pain. “You’ve turned into a lass!” She laughed seeing that face, twisted in what looked truly convincing discomfort.

“Gah...at least a lass who took care of the family.” A stab in a heart right there and then for it was not said in a joke, but a clear accusation. His sharp hues pierced hers with unhinged displeasure and for the first time, Emerit’s face froze. She was staring at a face of a strange. No, that was not right. She was the stranger.

“Come with. We needs to talk anyway.” Tunga concluded, retreating back towards the yurt that was his home.
word count: 702
Emerit
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Havardr] Oh brother...

The twins Joakim and Vicktor sat by their mother’s side. Staring in awe at their aunt who came from the outside world. They seem to have taken no notice of the convesation that just transpired between their parents and what would be a stranger at most despite the blood ties.. Sonja, Tunga’s wife, was frowning however. She was unhappy with Emerit and made sure her sister-in-law knew it throughout the conversation. Whether it was with passive aggression, or with clear retort of quietly swelling anger. Emerit used to like Sonja once upon a time. They used to get along before Emerit earned her freedom so this sudden 180 degrees turn was one of the many shocks that have been laid on her in the short period of time.

“So you telling me the whole clan is gone. Mum, dad, grandpops… Everyone?” Emerit had to ask again as her mind struggled to believe that news. In response, Tunga rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“Aye. Have you wax in your ears?” No, not wax. But disbelief. Up to that point, on the whirlwind of the excitement of being back, Emerit did not realise that her family was not around. That they were not among the first ones to greet her. The attention she received from the others overshadowed her primary reason for return and for a moment, she was ashamed...and somewhat mortified at the prospect of everything she knew being gone.

“Maybe if you weren’t so focused on yerself, you would've noticed.” Sonja uttered from across the room, stabbing Emerit with words like the sharpest of harpoons. The young Biqaj did not like her friend from the past anymore. So she shot her a warning look.

“This ain’t your talk, woman.” Emerit rebutted.

“Aye it is! I am part of---”

“Part of what?! A family where you got yerself pregnant because neithers of you could keep your---”

“Enough!” Tunga thundered over their bickering. The boys cowered in front of their father’s fury. What life did the boys have up until now? Tunga seemed to have turned into a miserable sod with an expression of constantly constipated but starved dog. Sonja looked like an unhinged witch from the deep, but to her credit, at least she draped her arms over her children, casting Tunga a pleading sight for a trill.

Emerit huffed in frustration. “Look, Tunga. I couldn’t’ve known. After I got my freedom---”

“Spare me the talk, Em. Nobody cares about your feckin freedom.” Tunga interrupted her rudely with a dismissive wave of a hand as he got up and walked away to grab himself a drink. Yet, for Emerit this conversation was far from over. They used to be so close. They used to tell each other everything and this charade has long exceeded any normal teasing between siblings. Hence, with next to no hesitation, Emerit pushed herself off the chair and followed her brother.

“Tunga, you gots to listen to me.” She insisted, coming to stand next to him as he poured himself a mug of ale. Already? It was barely late-trial… But those thoughts aside, she hurried on before he could interrupt her again: “As soon as I could after the attack, I sped across the seas, I promise ya. But I’s only have a sloop! A little thing of nothing and I didn’t wants to die on my way.” She laid a hand on his upper arm, desperately trying to reconnect with the only man she had left in this world. He shoved her hand aside. Anger, pain and frustration mixing in his eyes in an aray of colours like dark rainbows. And suddenly, her bond to him told her to shut up. To stay quiet and let the man speak for if she were to persistently carry, she'd lose something be that piece of information or the last tie to her twin. So she obeyed her instinct and it paid her tenfold in hurt but also information.

You didn’t want to die?! You rushed back home from your freedom. Yes, you! You’re the feckin problem, Em. You left here. You wanted that cursed freedom so bad, you didn’t look back twice! Did you?!” So it was the tradition of their family that drew a rift between brother and sister. It pained her. She always hoped this would not happen. She was assured by her own mother it would not be the case. Alas, even the old ones can be wrong it seemed. Then suddenly, Emerit noticed how Tunga’s skin glistened in the light as he took a step towards her. A step that others might have recognized as aggression, but it did not scare her.

“You were always all about yerself, sister. It was always about you. When father took you around Scalvoris. When they all doted over you after the Bard got rid of ye. No one...ever looked elsewhere...but at you.” His breathing grew laborious and the sheen over his skin turned into beads. Emerit frowned because there was no reason for Tunga to have this physical reaction to an outburst. He never had it before and it wasn’t overly warm in the room either. Then it occurred to her. Despite tension running high and his blood pressure probably as well, he was not the least red in the face. If anything, he was all the more the sickly white that she noticed earlier. By that point, he stabbed a finger in her chest. The uncut nail dug into the soft skin on her sternum. There was the smallest of winces tugging on the area around her eyes, but nothing more.

You...abandoned…me. You abandoned your responsibilities and then...you come back...with stories of bullshit...thinking...things will be...the same…” He rasped out, face a contorted grimace of pain as he stumbled backwards, clutching onto his chest, struggling to breath. That was Emerit’s cue.

“Tunga…” She whispered, confused, stepping forward to cushions her brother’s fall which brought both of them to the ground. He was shaking. His hand was scratching at his chest over his shirt and his muscles were knotted tight like mooring rope.

“Leave!” Sonja was suddenly by their side, pushing Emerit away. “Go! You’re making him worse!”

“Bu---"

“Just do what you’re good at, Emerit! GET OUT!” It was a shriek of a desperate woman as she cradled her husband’s head with one arm, rummaging in the pocket of her dress with the other. Emerit pushed herself back and away, eyes wide open, fearful hues settling in her eyes. She wasn’t wanted. She wasn’t needed. She was...not part of this. In the rush of realizing what seven arcs have done to her family, to her relationship with her brother, she also witnessed the nightmare Tunga has been facing while Emerit was gone. It was as Sonja pulled out some herbs to chew them and make a swallowable paste for her brother, Tunga has lifted his shirt. Uncut nails scratching at his chest with ferocity, cries of pain wetting his cheeks. Suddenly she had an excuse for his behaviour. One that was not tied to her claiming her rights…

...Ink Bloom.
word count: 1220
Emerit
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Havardr] Oh brother...

3rd Ymiden, 718th Arc

Aye, what a disaster of homecoming. Emerit woke up grumpy in her sloop. The events of previous trial left her sore through and through.

“Agh, Ri. What the feck did we come back to?” The Biqaj woman scratched the head of her temple monkey companion as she laid in her hammock, cherishing the rocking of the boat on the gentlest of waves. Ri in response nuzzled closer to Emerit’s neck. It was as close as Em got to an embrace from any creature she could trust. Scoffing, she just shook her head. She had no idea what to do, truth be told...for once.

Carefully moving away, the fisherwoman left her humble bed, making sure she would not send the poor creature tumbling down to the centre of the cot or worse yet, on the floor. Her bare feet on the wood sent all the small hairs to attention.

“Shite...t’is cold.” Looking around she quickly grabbed her boots to compliment the oversized sleeping shirt she was wearing. Despite the trial probably being another sweet kissed, light breezed cutie pie, Emerit saw only clouds disregarding their fluffy nature. They were still just fecking clouds.
Much like skirting around a topic no one wanted to address, Emerit walked around Havardr for the best of the morning. To get her mind off the matter, she spoke to people she knew and those she didn’t, finding it easier to impress those who were strangers to her. It wasn’t until walking past a small gathering that had some of the villagers selling crafts like nets, fishing hooks and others. It was an irregular thing this one. Happening on occasion and sometimes there would only be one soul trying to make extra nel for spending.

“Aye, heard Tunga wa’n’t at d’boats to-trial.” Emerit froze in spot, very much mid-step like a statue struck from ice by Ziell. Her eyes darted and buried into Sonja’s back who was speaking with a trinket maker, evaluating something made from a shell no doubt. For a fraction of a trill, nothing happened before childhood nature took over her feet. She bent in her knees in semi-crouch and started sneaking away right through the middle of the scarce crowd. Who the heck cared that some of the villagers were looking at her funny! She had to dodge the attention of one person only - the hag of a wife of her brother. The rest of them could shove it.

Untangling herself from the scrutiny of the few, Emerit dashed for her brother’s yurt. Whilst the harpy was out, Em had a chance to talk to her brother freely. She couldn't pass up the chance. At the end of the day, Sonja was the issue she was skirting. So she could shove it too with the rest of 'em!
“You’s two keep quiet, a’right? Pops and precious me has a talk to have.”

“But mu---”

“Mum is in the market buying you trinkets, I says. So if you make any noise she might not gives it you.”

Children were so gullible and in truth her favourite audience. After all, that little lie stapled together the lips of the twin boys quite securely from what Emerit could tell as she snuck indoors. Winking at the boys in a conspiracy, they giggled and the fisherwoman made her way to where Tunga laid on the bed, sickly white with laboured breathing.

Pain and regret stabbed at her heart at once. She was gone when the illness showed up for him. She was not around when he needed her even though he had his wife and the boys. Deep within, Emerit was regretful that arcs have robbed her of the treasures and relationships she could have nurtured here on the island and perhaps that was a universal discovery among all the folks of her clan who gained their freedom. Perhaps that’s why many did not stay for long, feeling the truth too heavy and oppressing in a place they once used to call home. Many did not return past the first time either. Or so they were told when they were kids.

“You looks like a whale slipped of yer hook, woman.” Tunga rasped not far from her. She must have got lost in herself for a moment, allowing guilt to take charge. With others, she would have hidden the momentary slip of gloom behind a cheery remark. With Tunga, there was no chance it’d pass. Moreover, her eyes already changed to a lonelier shade of silver.

“Aye. Per’aps even more than a whale.” The woman admitted, coming to sit on the edge of the bed, looking into the incredibly deep, rich blues of her brother. It was the colour of the ocean going to sleep, a colour he always had when extremely tired or ill.

“Sonja’s out if---”

“I know and no. I sure don’t wants her around.” To that Tunga tried to chuckle but the attempt ended in a grimace of pain. So profoundly it was felt by Emerit, that she laid her hand on his, leaning forward, mirroring the expression in lesser degree as if she could….she wanted to take it away and upon herself. The fact that he did not shake her hand off meant that either he was too weak to tell her to get lost, or he was actually more reasonable compared to the previous trial.

“How long?” Emerit asked softly, encouraged by the fact that she could touch her brother without retribution.

Tunga shrugged. “I don’ts know. Quite a few seasons, maybe arcs now.” Emerit didn’t know much about Ink bloom, only that it was painful and who knew if there was a cure. So she frowned, unhappy about the fact that her brother was suffering for so long. But she also felt angry for a moment that Sonja allowed it to get this bad as if it was his wife’s doing and not nature's mean backhanded hurdle thrown at their faces.

“Oi now, don’t’yu get all buttfacey with me, missus.” Tunga tried speaking in a harsh voice which did not quite make its point as his hand came to squeeze hers. Despite his outer tough shell, he still cared and that simple gesture embodied it. It soften the edge and healed the wounds slightly from yesterday's encounter. So much so Emerit;s eyes softened, perhaps even glazed over slightly as she offered him a smile.

“You know…it’s been tough without you, Em. It really has.” A man with a husky voice and emotions on his tongue was a man worth listening to, Emerit believed. So she settled back and looked at him with all the love she still felt for the poor bastard.

“I...didn’t blame you for going. I mean you gots your freedom the rightest of ways. Part of me was never sure if I wanteds to head out to the wide world, ye know. You were always the one with widest of eyes when stories were tolds and the pirates came back.” This time, a gentle chuckle tickled his chest even if a twitch of discomfort tugged on his face. “But over time...life got hard. I gots this ink bloom shite in me body and Sonja...she a fair woman. But fairs not enough to keep her by me side, not whilst I was healthy. Two arcs ago I took turn for worse, then moms and pops disappeared and now, feckin’ rumours about rotten whales…” He sighed exhaustedly. Life has weighed him down more than it should have.

“Shhh. Forgets about the whale. Let’s find out how we can get you better.” Emerit suggested softly, reaching forward to place her warm hand against his mucky cheek. She did not mind him ill, nor dirty, nor violent anymore. The pain clouded his judgement earlier. Of that she was sure. So she forgave him. But the damned illness did not dumb his stubborness as he shook his head at her suggestion.

“Nah, there’s nuthin you coulds do. Even Sonja’s herbs for pain aren’t working much anymore.”

“Well all the more reason to cast the nets wider!”

“Em, I tells ya no. Don’t be dragging a doctor up and down the island for a man who…” Who what? A shiver in his eyes that Emerit could not decipher for the first time in her life was broken by another painful attack which twisted his body ever so slightly. She believed she saw a secret message, a series of feelings that left her confused. Who what? What was he trying to silently tell her that she could not understand? So much for plain speaking among siblings eh? And before she could say much more, she heard behind her back, piercing the silence with a holler of anger.

“What the feck is you doin’ here?!” And so Sonja made her grand entrance.
word count: 1513
Ellen'wyn
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Huntress
Renown: 94
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: [Havardr] Oh brother...

Emerit

Comments

I really enjoy how you bring these NPCs to life. Good job. Keep it up!

EXP: 10 points

No magic points

Renown: +5 for telling your story to a crowd.

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Storytelling: Stories have climax
Deception: Fitting emotions for desired effect
Endurance: Withstand small pain
Persuasion: Impress strangers
Caregiving: Physical contact brings comfort
Stealth: Avoiding attention

Loot & Consequences

Items: None

Injuries/Overstepping: None
Please edit your review request to show that it has been graded!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=500&image_id=13216[/img][/center]
word count: 92
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”