• Closed • Rescue Me (Sabine, Lynessa, Khama, Gem)

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, and the River Zynyx.

• Closed • Rescue Me (Sabine, Lynessa, Khama, Gem)

Postby Oracle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 pm

70th of Ashan Continuing from here
“Fine, go waste your time with her.” Walden spat toward the group that was following his mother Iris. He stamped his foot against the ground and waved the team of rescuers toward another entrance into Mistral Wood.

The watchman was pleased to see two thunder priestesses in their midst. It was good to know that the uppity city folk still cared enough to send them two of their Priestesses. The women were supposedly talented in combat and spycraft, hopefully some part of their training had prepared them for this particular problem. The gutter rat that had joined the group was given a less-than-welcoming glare by the watchman. Walden was no gleaming moral pillar of the community, but he knew a street-rat when he saw one, and that scrawny ginger headed girl was likely nothing but trouble. Probably had been tempted here on the hope of reward money. He snorted derisively at her before surveying all members of his team in their entirety.

“Alright you lot, head in here and start searchin to the south. If my boy knows anything about the woods, it’s to find water and stay put. “ Walden waved his guttering lantern to illuminate the darker interior of the Wood.

“There is a stream that leads off from the river, it flows west into the deeper reaches. Find the stream and use it as a guide to keep your bearings. With any luck it will lead you right to William…and the others that have disappeared.” The last few words were added on like an afterthought. Clearly the man cared more for his son’s well-being than the others that had been taken.

“I’ll keep watch on the forest’s edge, in the case anyone comes out. Remember to find the stream to the south and follow it. Stay on the paths as best you can, sometimes they change when you aren’t paying them any mind.”

With that Walden waved the group inside, and the rescuers would find themselves in a particularly gloomy part of the forest. Elms as Ash trees reached high overhead, their dense canopies block out much of the afternoon light. The trees grated and whined against each other in the wind, creating a discordant and eerie melody.

A game trail was all that would serve as the group’s path. The trail led to the south, with several twists and turns in it for the first dozen yards. There at a crook in the path sat an overgrown altar. Dead vines and grass grew over it, nearly obscuring it from view. Nature seemed to be reclaiming this place, overtaking anything that mortals left behind.

On the altar rested four objects in various states of disuse. The first item was a rusty hatchet, perhaps only as long as a forearm. It was old but solid and perfect for cutting down small trees. The next item was an old metal bucket. It was well made, if not a little rusty. The third item was a set of flint and steel and the fourth item was a child’s wooden flute. The last item seemed newer than the rest, with little flower petals painted in indigo on its reed surface.

Four items sat on the altar, and the rescuers approached. The offerings were free for the taking. Would they simply take an item, take and replace an item or simply pass the altar by? It was their choice. Ahead of them the path became dense with waist high brambles. It would take a fair bit of hacking and cutting to get past their first obstacle.

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can. "

J.R.R Tolkien

! Oracle wrote:
Welcome Rescuers to Stage 2 of the Mistral Mystery Event!
Hop on in and lets get started.

Posting Order does not matter in this event. I will make a weekly post, and you may post in any order following my post.

All of the actions your character takes can/will have an effect on future events and rewards. Keep that in mind. ;)

Please PM me if you have any questions! This can include details in the scenery that I have left out that may aide you in navigation.

I will post again on 4/23

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."

Office |Rharne| Rharne Lore | Rharne Development | Rharne Linkmap | Rharne OOC
If you like to request moderation please see the request form in my office, or simply contact me via pm.
Oracle
Storyteller - Rank 1
Storyteller - Rank 1

Race: Prophet
Profession: Fortune Teller
Renown: +99
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 4
World Developer (1) Supporter (1) Review Master (1) Storyteller (1)

Rescue Me (Sabine, Lynessa, Khama, Gem)

Postby Lynessa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 am

Following Walden’s lead, the group approached the Wood. Even without really entering it, Lyn could feel that there was something ethereal about their surroundings. The sad thing was that she couldn’t exactly describe what. The young priestess had been through the wilderness before, with Alia and Leth, but she couldn’t claim to be familiar with its terrain.

“There is a stream that leads off from the river, it flows west into the deeper reaches. Find the stream and use it as a guide to keep your bearings. With any luck it will lead you right to William…and the others that have disappeared.”

“What’s your boy William look like?” Lyn asked as she followed the watchman’s gaze. Clearly, the man was single-minded in the search for his son. It sounded like he would be satisfied as long as William was found. “Does anyone here know how many people are missing exactly?”

At the watchman’s gesture, the young woman glanced back at her soon-to-be fellow rescuers and smiled warily. “Let’s go then.”

For now, Lyn was willing to spearhead the group, carefully following the faded path in front of her. They were barely entering the forest and the path was already becoming confusing enough. Still, the priestess took the extra caution to memorize every turn. Despite the time, the forest seemed uncharacteristically dark and that didn’t help boost the young woman’s confidence.

In an attempt to break the uneasy silence, Lyn cleared her throat to get her group’s attention as she slipped a loosed strand of dark hair behind her ear. “Has anyone been here before? Any idea what to look out for?” Lyn had very basic knowledge about the place courtesy to her time in the priestesses – they were expected to know everything about Rharne after all – but she had a feeling that it wouldn’t be as easy as navigating a common wood.

She couldn’t tell how far she was supposed to go, but finally the encountered a stone altar and the items on it. With pursed lips, Lyn glanced at the trees behind it, noting how it thickened and stood closer together. It would be more and more difficult for them to pass through. The hatchet would help them, a lot.

Still, the priestess was wary of the idea of taking anything from an altar.

Murmuring a respectful apology and request under her breath, Lyn reached for the old thing. If they ever passed this way again, the young woman promised to return the tool to its rightful place. As an afterthought, she pulled out her throwing knife and placed it on the altar. A weapon for a weapon. New replacing the old.
Lynessa
thunder in her heart. chaos in her bones.

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Thunder Priestess
Renown: +32
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Postby Khama » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Khama was no stranger to the sneers and glares of the guards in Rharne, and Walden's was no less interpretable. Still, the gutterqueen grabbed the ribbon wrapped around her wrist and reached back to tie back the fiery mange of hair on her head. It finally tied back, but looked no more managed than before, simply out of her face. It cleared her grey-green eyes to stare defiantly at Walden, a smirk creasing her freckled face.

"Tsu, jhi'na'," Khama said, evident in her voice that she was telling Walden off, even if he did not understand the language. Coming from Khama, it wasn't any easier to understand because of her delivery, making the pidgin as much slang as pidgin. Smiling derisively, she set off behind the Thunder Priestess as they approached the woods. Her heart pounded, and though she wouldn't admit it to the others in the group, she hated the woods. Especially at night. They were always creepy, and they housed more secrets than most tumblehuts. Khama just shook her tied-back hair, causing a string of crimped hair to fall over her eye. Scowling at it, her eyes crossed, she blew the lock backwards, which caused it instead to stand straight up. Her hair was never manageable, why would now be any different?

Her entire life, she'd been subjected to the ideals of U'frek, the Sunset Sailor, and Cassion, called Koga Khan by her clan. Always stay in motion, live on the horizon, embrace adventure, scale the walls, save the girl, kiss the frog... But never once had they offered to tame her hair for her. In fact, she'd probably have some measure of piety for one of them should they show up and make the cloud of wavy red locks easier to manage in the mornings. She could just see it...

"O' might' Cassion, lord o' adventure n' hair-ties, may m' trial be fill't wit' surprises and pina wind to disturb m' locks." That'd be the life, she thought. Having a higher power contain her features, she could focus more on the important things in life, like whisky and ging. And, apparently, finding this damn boy and his friends. She knew she should've stayed in the Dust. With the two Thunder Priestesses here, she may have had time to pilfer a few establishments in their absence.

Life was a give and take.

As they came to the altar, prickles crawled up and down her arms, causing the hairs on her neck to stand on end. Why was there an altar in the woods? Especially at the end of an overgrown game path, deep in the woods where it was obvious people didn't tread? She had a feeling there was more to the disappearances than a few kids getting lost in the woods. Turning to Lynessa and Sabine, the two Priestesses, Khama voiced her concern in her typical, bored fashion.

"List'n, I ain't a ith'qaj, but some'p ain't right here. Good keel, an' we oughta get underway. S'not the place we wanna be should the jhi'na' who lef' this here come back fer't," Khama said to the two Priestesses, looking between them both with intense eyes. "Ot djal, bira'?"
Rakahi Pidgin
Khama
Approved Character

Profession: Criminal
Renown: -30
Character Sheet

Postby Geminius Rose » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:33 am

The man seemed...preoccupied. It was understandable that Walden would be most concerned about his own son. Gem figured if he were in the same situation, his reaction would be exactly like that. It was one thing to have to find someone else’s kid, it was another to have to send someone else to look for yours. Following the path with the others (he was finding himself terribly outnumbered and didn’t quite mind), he took in both his surroundings and his fellow rescuers. Two Thunder Priestesses, and whatever the redhead was. Walden hadn’t looked upon her too kindly.

One of the priestesses spoke and Gem lifted his gaze from the path. “Nope.” He hadn’t exactly been in Rharne for very long, and this was well out of the way for him to begin with. The redhead didn’t answer, and he might have asked the question again, if not for the altar they came upon. Items were laid out over it, as if offerings. Whether they were to be taken or not was up in the air, and one of the priestesses saw it fit to do just that.

He might have done the same. Gem had been tempted to do an even exchange, but all he really had were his daggers and he might need those. His gaze locked on the flute in much better condition than everything else on the table. Had someone else been there recently? The redhead spoke up, fear in her voice. He couldn’t quite grasp what she was saying, but it must have had to do with the altar with the way she was gesturing to it.

“Noted; don’t take anything from the altar,” he murmured, glancing back to the woman that had already done just that. But she had given something in return, so maybe that was what had happened with the flute. Had one of the children taken something and replaced it? He figured they’d find out at some point, right?
Geminius Rose
Approved Character

Race: Ithecal
Renown: +10
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review

Postby Sabine » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:47 am

The two groups split, and Sabine found herself following the ill-mannered watchman towards a darkened path. She mentally cursed herself for leaving her lantern at home as their supposed leader declared he would be keeping watch on the outskirts of the woods rather than joining them within. Leaving us to stumble about like fools.

The man’s grumpiness was catching.

Sabine noted his words about finding the stream and sticking to the path, though raised an eyebrow at his claim that the path could change at will. She suspected it was far more likely that those who made such claims simply found themselves disoriented after navigating poorly through the trees. It wasn’t that she didn’t believe in the mystical – she knew a little of magic’s existence and the power of Immortals like Ilaren, after all – but she had a tendency to lean toward simpler explanations.

For instance, like her privately held theory that a group of bandits or illegal slave traders had taken up residence within Mistral Woods.

She ran a hand lightly over the dagger at her hip and would listen closely if the watchman chose to answer Lynessa’s question about the boy’s appearance and the number of people they were looking for. Once the conversation finished, Sabine would offer the watchman a short nod as she passed by him by on her way into the forest. “Pray to Ilaren that we won’t need your luck,” she murmured.

Sabine took up the last position on the path in their line of four, sandwiching Khama and the man who had so far gone nameless between the two Thunder Priestesses. She was careful to keep to the path, even as her squinting eyes scanned the dark trees that guarded its edges. Her senses were on high alert as her gaze sought out glinting eyes, shadowed bodies, scraps of fabric, the sharp flight of an arrow, or a sword being swung.

Lynessa’s question cut in, as if she had read Sabine’s mind. “I don’t make a habit of spending time in shadowed woods,” Sabine said, pitching her voice loud enough for the whole group to hear but not so loud that it would draw attention from any who resided within the forest – or, at least, so she hoped. “But I do know what to look for. Keep an eye out for clothing, movement in the bushes, and that stream he was mentioning. Anything that seems it could belong to the lost kids, too.” She thought for a moment before continuing. “And maybe broken branches” to show signs of a struggle “or flattened brush” in case they were knocked out and dragged away.

Always the optimist.

Sabine was the last to see the altar, arriving just in time to see Lynessa take a hatchet and replace it with a throwing knife. Khama and the (still nameless) man seemed concerned about the altar’s existence, with Khama voicing obscure warnings in what seemed to be a heavily accented and barely understandable dialect of Common. And if Sabine had been superstitious, then she might have followed the woman’s advice. But she was an investigator and a warrior, and she had no time for superstitions that might leave a child dead.

She picked up the flute.

“Nothing’s right about this whole situation,” she said, meeting Khama’s eyes. “But I’m not going to leave behind anything that might help us find that man’s kid, or anyone else in this darkness.” She tucked the flute into her bag and screwed open her flask before pouring a small amount of whiskey on the ground in front of the altar. This was her offering – arguably the truest sacrifice of all for a Rharnian.

“Let’s go.”

If no one stopped her, she would draw her dagger and move towards the brambles to begin helping Lynessa hack through the blocked path and into the forest beyond.
Sabine
Bine there, done that.

Profession: Investigator/Priestess
Renown: +116
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Story of the Month (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) First Love (1) Right In The Feels (2) First Kiss (1)
Scandalous (1) Lol Worthy (1) Ymiden 716 (1) Vhalar 716 (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Oracle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 pm

“My son has a brown head of hair, like mine.” Walden said stoically to Lynessa as the group moved into the forest. “And blue eyes like his mum.” There was a note of sadness in his voice, a sadness that could only come from from losing one’s child.

“Please find him, he’s all I’ve got.”

With that they were on their own and standing before the altar just within the wood. Lynessa wisely took the hatchet and exchanged it for her throwing knife. It would be a useful tool, especially in this overgrown woodland. Sabine took the child’s flute, it was delicate and small, painted with simple brushstrokes. True to her nature as an investigator, she sought the item that might give them some hint as to the location of what they sought. Useful or not, it was indeed a clue that a child had passed this way recently. The other rescuers were far more skeptical of the items and left them be. A prudent decision, but perhaps one they might regret in the future.

The brambles blocking their path were quickly cleared away with the Thunder Priestesses leading the way. It was clear that the two women were better suited to leadership than the others. The man and the street rat taking a more reserved and calculated approach.

Lynessa and Sabine were nicked and cut in several places by the time they made it through the thorny vines, and the others seemed to have made it through unscathed. They emerged into a gloomy clearing, surrounded by a stand of elms and ancient oaks encircling the would-be rescuers. There at the center of the glade rested a series of boulders, with prickly bushes growing at the edge of the stones. There on one of the delicate branches a piece of bloodied cloth hung, drifting in the gentle breeze. The blood was dried, clearly indicating that it had been there for longer than a few breaks. A well-defined trail of footprints led away, with dark stains marking the ground where the individual had passed toward the west, straight into the undergrowth. There was no footpath, so it appeared that they had fled in a hurry. Only the desperate would plow straight into the Wood, forgoing the well worn hunting trail hat led off to the south from the clearing.

Strangely, the earth in the clearing was disturbed and pockmarked with small gouges and furrows in the soil. Cloven hoof-marks peppered the ground, suggesting that a great number of creatures had been there in the past.

Blood, disturbed soil, and animal tracks, they were all hints as to the nature of their hunt and the fate of the search parties that had gone before them.

The rescuers had a choice to make. To follow the haphazard path of footprints westward into the undergrowth, or to follow a worn hunting trail that led south.

The group had been in the clearing for only a few bits when the sound of stamping hooves and grunts could be heard just ahead of them, to the west. Forest boars were common in the Wood, and normally kept to themselves, but it seemed that his herd of a dozen or so individuals were especially desperate to-trial. The creatures crept out of the undergrowth from the direction that the bloody trail led, their eyes pinched and red and their bodies gaunt with starvation. They were at least two to three feet tall, with wickedly curved tusks and course brown coats. Their breathing was haggard, but the intent in their beady little eyes was clear. The rescuers were on the menu to-trial, especially Sabine and Lynessa who were covered in the scent of their own blood.

With thundering hooves, the beasts gave throaty bellows as they charged toward the group. Six of the largest among them focusing on the two priestesses. Their steps thundered against the ground, squeals of desperation and hunger echoed among them. The rest of the smaller beasts raced toward Gem and Khama. It was unlikely that they could kill them all before being grievously wounded, but several avenues of escape lay before the rescuers. The fastest path was the southern hunting trail while following the tracks leading into the undergrowth would take precious time. The choice was theirs.

! Oracle wrote:
Impacts
Negative
None

Positive
Sabine: A true investigator, Sabine takes the painted flute. There will be an added reward at the end.

Lynessa: Practical and sensible Lynessa takes the hatchet. There will be an added reward at the end.

Congratulations, you are all now in an active combat scenario! Run or fight the choice is yours! There is a pack of boars bearing down on you, but Sabine and Lyn are getting the worst of it. Proceed with combat and your actions in your post, so long as they are appropriate to your skill level. I encourage questions via PM if you wish to know more about the surroundings or the attacking beasts.

I will post again on 5/10/2018

If you like to request moderation please see the request form in my office, or simply contact me via pm.
Oracle
Storyteller - Rank 1
Storyteller - Rank 1

Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Postby Sabine » Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 pm

A low hiss left Sabine’s throat as the skin on the back of her hands was cut open by yet another thorny vine. Admittedly, she’d fought worse enemies than vengeful plants in her short lifetime, but that didn’t mean the urge to complain about the lesser adversaries had completely left her. While the vines likely weren’t the bad omen that the Khama woman had been hinting at, they certainly weren’t pleasant - and they definitely didn’t go down easily.

It was a relief when they emerged into the clearing, bleak though it was. Sabine sheathed her dagger and pressed her left hand over the back of her right to stop the small cuts from bleeding. As she did, she surveyed the small glade, with its large boulders and well-worn trail leading further into the woods.

Her brow furrowed.

“Is that…?” Sabine’s feet were moving before her companions could hear the rest of her words. She knelt in front of one of the boulders, where a bloodied cloth hung from a thin branch. She reached out to touch the blood - dry - before spotting the footprints that led from the cloth directly into the heart of the forest.

No path.

No trail.

The man’s warning echoed in her mind as she looked between the well-worn path and the damaged brush. “Stay on the paths as best you can.” Easy enough to say when there wasn’t clear evidence of someone - maybe even his son - who was injured, perhaps even dead, within the woods.

“Do you think it’s the kids?” Her question hung in the air, ready to be answered by anyone who was listening. “We should follow the blood.” This time, it was a statement. She would debate with anyone who disagreed, but her tone would become more and more agitated the longer the decision took. To dismiss clear evidence of another person in the woods for the sake of… what? Getting lost for a break?

The bushes shifted.

Sabine’s eyes snapped back to the brush and narrowed in concentration. She had just opened her mouth to call out, in the hopes that the person who had injured themselves was still there, when several loud bellows cut through the air and the ground began to shake beneath her.

What the fuck… It was only instinct that made her reach for her bo staff, while her mind caught up to the reality of the situation - that being the dozen evil-looking tusked beasts that were bearing down on the small group of rescuers.

“Shit. Run!” Her voice roared out above the cacophony as she took several quick steps backwards and swung her staff at the animal quickest to reach her.

This was the bad omen.

The beast squealed in anger as it was hit square in the stomach, knocking it over and affording Sabine a brief and precious moment to turn and begin running towards the well-worn hunting trail that seemed the group’s best path of escape. But the relief was short, as another animal took it’s place and aimed its tusks at her legs. Her staff swung again, more awkwardly this time, and managed only to knock it away from penetrating the center of her left thigh.

Perhaps one day she would look back on that moment and think, ”it could have been worse”.

But for the time being, pain flashed like lightning through her body as the side of her pants ripped from the impact of the tusk and a shallow cut opened along the side of her thigh. She slowed for a moment before forcing herself to increase her speed and glancing around her to see if her companions were sensible enough to follow her lead down the trail.
Sabine
Bine there, done that.

Profession: Investigator/Priestess
Renown: +116
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Story of the Month (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) First Love (1) Right In The Feels (2) First Kiss (1)
Scandalous (1) Lol Worthy (1) Ymiden 716 (1) Vhalar 716 (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Lynessa » Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Well nothing happened after she had taken the hatchet at least. No lightning strike or anything. Lynessa breathed a sigh of relief as she looked at the rest of the group. "Everything seems fine. No bad omen... yet." She offered Khama a weak smile since she was the one who mentioned it.

"Here we go then," the priestess announced as she began cutting through the brambles with her hatchet. It was quite a difficult work and a surprisingly painful one. By the time they finally broke through, her entire body felt like it was peppered by a million little cuts.

A clearing appeared before them and her eyes wasted no time to spot the two trails in front of them. Two choices.

Lynessa knelt on the ground next to Sabine, eyeing the prints closer. There was no doubt that the sight of blood was particularly concerning. Children would make smaller indentations on the ground. She shook her head as she looked up. "I don't think so. The footprints are large, heavy. It seemed like it belonged to adults." The blood accompanying the trail was certainly not a good sign. "Maybe it's the previous search party?"

At Sabine's preference, the thunder priestess nodded. "It seems as good as an idea as any. Though if the children are wandering by themselves, don't you think it's possible that they will follow the obvious path?"

She scanned their surroundings.

"What kind of animal went through here?" Lynessa mused loudly, more to herself than anything. The glade was beautiful if it wasn't for the trail marring the ground.

The universe decided to answer that question to her. The earth rumbled underneath her feet and Lynessa barely had enough time to stand before the bushes broke open to reveal a horde of furious forest boars charging directly at them.

Infiltration and information gathering, that's what she was good at. Not facing down a horde of forest creatures stampeding towards her. Instincts kicked in and her feet catapulted her towards the worn hunting trail. Any place but here. Lynessa had no interest to get acquainted with the massive tusks barreling her way. She had no weapons on her that might help - unlike Sabine and her staff. Swinging an old hatchet didn't seem like the best idea and she would rather not lose it. Her daggers were only good for close quarter combat and she had no interest in closing her distance with the boars.

Lynessa spared a look back, both to check on her companions and make sure that she kept in front of the hungry herd.
Lynessa

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Postby Oracle » Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am

Lynessa and Sabine raced toward the weathered hunting trial. It was little more than a narrow footpath, worn both by past hunters and the hoof prints of deer and other creatures. However those tracks would not be of great importance to the two priestesses. Instead their attention would be taken by a man standing in their path. His skin was marred with cuts and scratches similar to their own, though the wounds looked old, as if they had been healing for a few trials. His body was rippling with well-formed musculature, sporting thick arms, a defined chest and a face that was not at all unattractive. He had a wide angular jaw, with a long scar marking his right cheek and two deep brown eyes settled under a stern brow. His hair was closely shaven, although it appeared that he had been unable to keep it neatly trimmed lately. The gentleman’s clothing was clearly that of a hunter, with a soft green shirt beneath an umber leather vest and thick dark brown canvas trousers. A machete swung from his hip, bearing chips and scratches from use, and on his back was a longbow and quiver full of arrows that he had likely made himself. It was clear from his appearance that he had been in the forest for a long while, perhaps even the length of a ten-trial.

The hunter stared at Sabine and Lynessa, his gaze hard and unyielding.

“Come with me, if you want to live.” He said in a deep baritone voice.

In a fluid, practiced motion he snatched the bow from his back and fired two consecutive shots into the boars that were racing behind the group. They snagged two boars, each in the left eye. He was clearly an accomplished marksman. The beasts crashed down, tripping up the other boars that were following behind. They now had the trills they needed to escape alive.

Sabine’s leg was bleeding profusely, but they had to move. Thankfully the Thunder Priestess was made of sterner stuff; she could stay on her feet for a bit longer before the blood loss and pain would begin to wear heavily on her. Lynessa moved swiftly and decisively, making the choice to run rather than fight off a troupe of half-starved wild animals.

The hunter was off, running at a sprint, but making sure not to outpace the wounded Priestess. As they ran, the trees began to shift strangely, as if there was a strong wind moving among them, moving their branches about, but yet there was no wind.

“It’s changing! Stay close!” The hunter bellowed, his voice reverberating around them as he turned, putting a large hand on the shoulders of each of the women, so that they all stayed connected and together. The forest then did the strangest thing. The trees moved, quite literally and a low mournful animal call could be heard in the distance. Trunks shifted along the ground, somehow without leaving great furrows in their tracks, the earth seemed to move with them, wiping away the weathered hunting trail they had been following and creating a new trail that led off toward the north. The boards had been cut off from their assault, a thick forest now lying between the animals and the group.

The hunter removed his hands from Lynessa and Sabine’s shoulders, looking relieved that they had all somehow remained together.
“That is what it does.” He said wearily, gesturing at the forest around him. “Shifts…changes, especially if you get too close to the edge of the Wood.” He frowned deeply. “It will never let us leave.”

There was a wretchedness in the hunter’s slightly accented voice. A desperation that was reflected clearly in his face. “I’m Nicholai by the way, you two lovely ladies can give me your names while we head to the camp…if I can find it again.” Nicholai didn’t seem totally sure of himself with those last few words, although it was clear that even after trials of being trapped in Mistral Wood, he hadn't lost his charm.

The paths had shifted, and he would need to navigate a completely different path in order to return to his campsite. He set off to the west, unsheathing his machete to being hacking down small green trees and brush to make a new path.

! Oracle wrote:
Impacts
Negative
None

Positive
Sabine: A warrior at heart, Sabine fought off a wave of oncoming enemies. However she will suffer with her wound for the rest of her time in the forest. There will be an additional reward at the end, well done!

Lynessa: Swift and decisive, Lynessa chose to flee rather than endangering herself. There will be an additional reward at the end, well done!.

Congratulations, you have both encountered the hunter Nicholai! He is an expert hunter that will likely be a useful ally in the future.

I will post again on 5/21/2018
I am out of town next week so I am moving the post date to the following Monday.

Oracle
Storyteller - Rank 1
Storyteller - Rank 1

Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Postby Lynessa » Sat May 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Yes, she did want to live.

The decision to follow the mysterious man was not at all difficult. It didn’t matter to her what his intentions were, all that mattered was for them was to get away from the pack of bloodthirsty boars.

Lynessa let herself drift to her fellow priestesses side, ready to offer her any assistance, from supporting her injured side to dragging along should she needed it. She doubted they could afford to keep running for long. Soon, their endurance would be drained and the nasty creatures would catch up to them. Then, they would be dead.

Out of nowhere, the stranger cried out to them, “It’s changing! Stay close!”

The priestess would have yelled out a question, somewhere along the lines of ‘what the hell was changing’. The forest answered her. For a moment she could not believe what she was seeing and her stomach dropped as she watched trees shifted around. Trees moving at their accord, all the while their roots were still planted firmly on the ground. They moved as easy as a human wading through a calm lake.

It seemed like the forest had decided to let them live, for the trees stood in the boars path, cutting them off. Lynessa finally slowed herself to a stop, her overworked lung gasping for air. The wilderness was suddenly quiet again around them, disturbingly so. More than a little bit disoriented, the young woman turned a full circle to study her surroundings. It was nothing like the place it had been mere moments ago. Even the path they were following was gone.

Shite. It seems like she had no idea what she had signed up for.

The hunter’s deep voice broke through her whirling mind and she finally took the time to really look at him. Nicholai was a striking man, covered in scars – a hint to what sort of man he was. Judging from how he looked, he must have been in the forest for a while. The priestess gave him a weak smile as she finally collected herself. “Lynessa. As grateful as I am to be saved by a handsome stranger… Mind telling us who you are and what in Ilaren’s name are you doing here?” As an afterthought, she added, “Perhaps even better: What do you mean by it will never let us leave? Are you saying the woods are trying to kill everyone here?”
Lynessa

Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Next

Return to The Stormlands