Music Flows in Silver Blood

86th of Ashan 718

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

86th Trial of Ashan during Arc 718
Arlo had gone to do some hunting and Vega recognised that this was a good time to practice with her fiddle. Having spent a lot of time cooped up indoors, below decks and on her own, Vega had been able to practice a lot.She'd never done more than mess around with a fiddle, now and then, as a young person but her enforced confinement had given her a determination and a focus. Besides, the young woman knew that she had some things to think about, some things to work on and also, she needed to move. So, Vega picked up her fiddle and stood, ready to play.

She was getting better, she knew and, as she always did and for reasons she didn't entirely understand, she automatically and unconsciously used the ability granted to her by Xiur, lighting the fiddle up with starlight as she lifted it up to her, nestling it under her chin. The more she played it, the more Vega understood the music. Understood it, and felt it. Silver blood ran with music, her father told her. Dance and song, notes played on fiddles and lutes, and finally, she was beginning to understand. So, lifting the fiddle up, Vega made sure to drop her elbow low, pulling it close and moving across close to the middle of her form. Minimising the amount of distance her bow had to travel at it's furthest, would make the difference to her. Because this piece, she had practised and practised and yet now, she knew, she had to speed up.

And the speed was all about detail and that, Vega knew, was where the Devil lived.

So, with a smile she lowered the fiddle again and got the rosin. It helped the movement of the bow across the strings and that was what she needed. But she'd noticed a tendency in herself to rosin the middle of the bow more and that didn't help with the speed of the whole piece, so she made sure that she applied rosin to the whole bow, one end to another, making sure to cover it evenly.

Then, she was able to lift it and begin to practice. It was important to remember that, she knew, to keep a focus on those small things. Her tendency towards a "brute force and ignorance" approach often came across in other things. Like in her many failed attempts at cooking and her equally monstrous foray into painting, Vega simply did not have the patience to do such repetitious movements, such boring things. Yet, as she lifted the fiddle and adjusted it in her hands, she felt a by-now familiar feeling of pleasure and she smiled. She was standing, because she wanted to stand when she played. She had spent so long sitting down and laying down that if it was down to her at this point, she'd sleep standing up. Having been afraid that she might never do it again, standing was a delight to the young mixedblood woman.

And as she began to play, she heard the first notes from the instrument in her hands and she smiled, half closing her eyes and just allowing herself to play through the melody once, slowly. Speed would come, she knew. Accuracy was first.
544 Words:
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Hold the instrument towards the middle of your body for faster play
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Rosin the entire bow, to ensure maximum coverage and play
word count: 594

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

It was a tune she had heard a hundred thousand times before, she thought as she played it. Her uncle had played it, her cousins. Tamborines and drums accompanied it and biqaj danced on sandy shores to it. Aboard ships, people swung each other around, linking arms and there was always, always alcohol flowing. As a child, Vega had been to more of these sorts of meetings, celebrations and random happenings than she could count and yet in this moment she remembered one particularly. A member of her family, she didn't know who he was, Uncle's brother in law or some such, had played the fiddle and she had watched him. His eyes had been half closed the whole night through as he played. He wasn't playing for anyone else, she realised. He was playing for himself, because music flowed in his silver blood.

With a smile, she wondered if everyone else had realised that at the time and she was just slow to catch on. Probably.

Still, as she thought about it she realised that her playing had slowed slightly and Vega concentrated on her hands. What was it that was doing it? Was it the fact that she was trying to speed up and so she was becoming self-conscious, she wondered? She didn't think so, though, no, it was a tension in her wrists. In her bow hand, she was not letting her wrist remain loose and she consciously did that, while noting that her holding hand was tending towards bending in, towards the neck of the fiddle, where she was tempted to rest the instrument against the inside of her wrist. That was no good and she adjusted the arch again.

And immediately, she noticed the difference.

Better. Much better. Vega continued to play and as she did, she walked. Not danced. She wasn't ready for dancing yet, but she walked the steps that she would have danced, because one trial, and one trial soon, Vega Lei'nox and Arlo Creede were going to go dancing, of that she was sure and, when they did, she would be back on form, able to dance and not shame him or herself. And that started with moving in time with music, which was what she was going to do now.

So, she played. Concentrating on those things, on her wrists and the speed at which she played meant that she concentrated on the fiddle which was glowing in her hands and that, in and of itself, took the attention off her and on to something else. That helped. It helped with the pain, which was as much in her head as in her body at this point and it helped with her concentration. Each foot, in the rhythm which they'd been in for so long - before that night in Cylus, that was, it was important to go back to where her feet just did what she needed them to do and she didn't worry about tripping, stumbling, hurting herself again. Confidence. That was what she needed, Vega realised and that in and of itself was a major realisation, even as her hands moved to create the music with the instrument in her hands and her feet moved her.
539 Words:
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Keep your wrist loose on your bow hand
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Positioning the hand on the neck of the fiddle to maximise speed of placement
word count: 584

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

And as she continued to speed up, Vega realised that if she positioned the bow on the same level as the instrument and, immediately, she noticed a difference. Continuing to move, Vega noticed that her pace of walking had picked up because, now, the tune was the right one, it was at the right speed and a smile lit her face as she walked around the camp, playing a biqaj jig on a glowing fiddle, lit with starlight. It was right, she heard the sound coming from it and Vega's face and, of course, her eyes, showed her pleasure at that. She was walking, relatively quickly and she was playing the song she remembered and had been taught. Both of those things were sources of delight to the young half-Sev'ryn as she realised that, in many ways, she was getting her hey-nonny-nonny on.

But then, when she had played and walked for a while, Vega stopped and she sat down. On the bench she had made when he was off on Cassion's work, and she looked down at the glowing fiddle in her hands. "I died, Xiur. An' I don't know how to get past that," she said, looking at the fiddle which glowed with the light of the stars. "One trill, I was on the docks, you know? Jus' there. On the docks, sellin' my stuff an' enjoyin' my evenin' an' the next thing I know I'm broken in all the places I can be, dragged through the earth like a worm an' then, I burned alive." Shaking her head, Vega put the fiddle down as the light in it started to fade and then disappeared. "It jus' so.. I can't make it fit, you know? Like, I want to always jus' be happy an' hopeful an' dance. But all of me jus' broke. In an instant. An' I don't know if I'll ever be back together the shape I was."

Would she? No, she figured she probably wouldn't.

But then, maybe that was alright. "After those bandits did a number on Arlo, I killed 'em. Not all of 'em, cos there were more than he told me, an' I'd have died if he hadn't come after me. But they died an' it was right sad. Cos all hope had stopped in this world for them." She didn't know if she was making any sense, or if Xiur was even listening. "But they'd been doin' bad stuff. Rapin' an' murderin', an' they hurt him, too. But I'd never killed no one before an' I promised myself, if I ever did again, I'd do it knowin' that it was them or me, or that if I didn't, they'd be takin' an innocent." She'd kept to that, too and she believed that she could say that. Yet this?

"All I wanted to do was come back here, Xiur. To him. To my life. I love my life, I do. But it 'urt him an' it hurt me an' are either of us ever goin' to be the same again?" Vega sighed and shook her head. "I'm sick of people I love dyin', you know. Arlo's mother, she was a right lovely woman an' she was young an' all. She shouldn't have died. An' then there's me," she grinned, but it was a half hearted expression and she got, finally, to the crux of the matter. "How do I stop bein' afraid, Xiur?" It was a simple question with a complex, and yet very simple answer. And one she knew.

"So, the way to stop bein' afraid of death is to live. Come on then, best stop lollygaggin' round here. Thanks, Xiur," she smiled up at where the stars were just beginning to poke their way into the vision of mortals, blinking in the dusk that was his. "I'm gonna work on that, an' I won't give up. I promise." It wasn't, after all, in her nature to do so. So, she's work it out the best way she could. Not by thinking about it, talking about it or any such thing.

She'd get over being dead by being alive.

Yep. That worked for her.
692 Words:
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Position your bow hand for speed.
Psychology: The experience of death leaves strange and long term impacts
[
word count: 752

Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Name: Vega

Knowledge:
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Hold the instrument towards the middle of your body for faster play
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Rosin the entire bow, to ensure maximum coverage and play
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Keep your wrist loose on your bow hand
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Positioning the hand on the neck of the fiddle to maximise speed of placement
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Position your bow hand for speed.
Psychology: The experience of death leaves strange and long term impacts

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A
Magic XP: N/A

- - -
Comments: This is beautifully written. I like how personal Vega's relationship with Xiur is and that she actually talks to him!

These were my favourite two sentences though:
She'd get over being dead by being alive.

Yep. That worked for her.
word count: 137
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”